Home Home About Contact Disclaimer Beauty Lifestyle Image Map

Wednesday 3 December 2014

Top Tips For Healthy Hair This Winter

Christmas is nearly here and the Christmas parties are upon us. This is the time I need my hair to be looking its best. Winter is one of the most damaging times of year for our hair. With the chilly weather outside and the central heating on inside, I find my hair becomes very dry and it can lose its natural healthy shine, leaving it feeling limp and brittle. However, by looking after my hair I can stop this from happening. So I have written my top tips for you, to help your hair prevent this winter weakness.
 
Regular Trims 
 I am in the process of growing my hair and I hate having to go get it cut. I feel like I spend six weeks growing it, to go in to my local hairdressers for her to cut it off! Makes me want to cry when I look at the floor and see my blonde locks laying there, but it is a massive essential. The best way to keep your hair healthy is to get rid of those dry split ends.

 Protecting
 I am terrible at remembering to protect my hair with a heat protection spray. I wouldn't lay in the sun without protecting my skin, so I need to remember to protect my hair when blasting it with heated appliances. Blow drying, straightening and curling tongs can really dry the hair out but a lot of brands do a heat protection spray that is so lightweight you can not feel it in your hair. I just divide my hair into sections and give it a light spritz.
Wearing a woolly hat is a great way to protect your hair, although they can cause havoc for perfectly styled locks. Try wrapping your hair in a silk scarf under your woolly hat. There is less friction to your hair as the silk is smooth and it will also help to keep your hair looking pretty underneath.
Wearing your hair in protective styles will also make a difference. Plaits, twists and buns are a great way to protect your hair as you are minimizing how much hair is in the elements and you are less likely to use heated appliances to achieve these looks.
 
Good Hair products 
I use a different shampoo and conditioner in the winter months to the summer time as my hair needs that extra moisture. I opt for a more milder, alcohol-free shampoo and lather less as shampoo can strip the natural oils from the scalp. Also try not to over rinse hair, as the squeaky clean feeling can mean the natural conditioning agents have been stripped and this can cause those pesky split ends.  I find if I reduce how many times a week I wash my hair, it helps my hair a lot. I have very fine hair and it frustrates me when it looses it's volume. So I wash less and opt for a volumising dry shampoo.
  Include a hair mask at least once a week and if you can leave it in overnight, it works wonders. I love a DIY hair mask. A great one to try is a banana homemade hair mask. Bananas are super rich in potassium, vitamins, anti-oxidants and contain natural oils and moisture. A banana hair mask will help strengthen hair to prevent split ends and breakage and add that all important moisture. Blend together two overripe bananas, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of honey. Make sure you blend it so there is no lumps, as trying to comb banana out of your hair after is no fun! Your hair will thank you after this mask!
A spray leave in conditioner I find is a must in winter. Towel dry hair and give the ends of your hair a good spritz with a leave in conditioner, it will give a replenishing boost that instantly helps to detangle your hair and make it more manageable. My favourite leave in conditioner is Schwarzkopf Gliss Liquid Silk Express Hair Repair This makes my hair feel so soft and makes combing wet hair a dream. 

Low Heat
Blow drying at a low heat make take longer but the heat from the hair dryer vaporises the water in our hair making it dry, so keep it low. It's a simple one, but if you can, don't use heat at all. I try really hard to only blow dry my hair once a week or for special occasions. Since leaving my hair to dry naturally I have noticed a massive difference in the overall condition.
Washing your hair the night before and leaving it to dry naturally avoids going out with damp hair, as this can cause split ends where it dries in the cold air. 

Diet
Eating lots of fruit and vegetables will provide your body with the necessary vitamins to make your hair stronger and healthier. Also drinking plenty of water helps to keep your hair hydrated from within. 

So here's my tips to battle the winter weakness and to maintain healthy hair.

Do you have any tips for winter healthy hair? 

Samantha x

*Pictures from this post are sourced from Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for following me on Twitter. I like discovering new fellow bloggers.
    Thanks for the tips! Winter seems to be very hard season for my hair as well.

    Would you like to follow each other on Bloglovin? Please, let me know.

    Lu | www.balgarka.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the process of growing hair too and I know what you mean by cutting it, haha :) I want to cry too!
    And yes, I'm also sucker at remembering to protect my hair. I remember to use hair protection sprays only when I'm straightening my hair.

    Nina
    www. elvishmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hi there. I discovered your site via Google while looking for a similar subject, your site got here up. It seems to be great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to visit then.
    best oil for hair growth Rawalpindi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...